August 3, 2011

How to Make Teacup Candles | The Raspberry Branch

I love featuring other bloggers that believe in stylish living. This week s+s welcomes Stephanie of The Raspberry Branch! Hailing from the UK, Stephanie showcases beautiful pretty things from fashion to interiors. I'm so not a DIY girl, probably because I'm such a klutz, but I just may have to attempt these adorable teacup candles as they would be the perfect addition to my bedroom. Here's how to do it ...

Hello style+saveur readers, my name's Stephanie and I’m the girl behind ‘The Raspberry Branch’.

For me, August is all about holding vintage style, garden tea parties. There’s something about an English garden tea party theme that I just love! It’s crisp, classic, quirky and very, very adorable. Any excuse to buy more vintage china and tea-cups I say!

I love old teacups. The dinkier and daintier, the better. So I thought I’d share with you a lovely D.I.Y piece, that’ll make any tea party stand out:


TEA-CUP CANDLES

I first came across this idea in a lovely book the manfriend bought me for my birthday last year and have been itching to give it a go. They make great gifts too, so lots of time to perfect your technique in time for Christmas.

Image taken from Kirstie Allsopps 'Homemade Home' book

You'll need: a pretty teacup/ wax (paraffin and bees wax or an old candle)/ double boiler (a bowl on top of a water filled pan)/ wick sustainer (the metal disc that’s found at the bottom of a tealight)/ wick.



  1. First work out how much wax you'll need. To do this fill the teacup with water and measure the amount. Say its 150ml this will equate to 150g of wax.
  2. Put your wax into the top of the double boiler (just as you would melt chocolate over the hob)
  3. Whilst the wax is melting, prepare the wick. Place it horizontally into your teacup and cut it 2cm above the edge of the cup.
  4. Attach the wick sustainer to the wick and dip the wick into the melting wax in order to coat and prime it.
  5. Once the wax is fully melted, pour it slowly into the teacup. Filling it.(There should be some wax left over - you'll need this for the second pour)
  6. Hold the wick in the centre of the teacup by placing 2 pencils across the top and sandwiching the wick in between the two.
  7. Once the wax is cool to the touch, do your second pour. You'll have found that the wax has shrunk as it’s cooled and a crevice will appear in the centre. The second pour is to fill this in.
  8. Leave to set...
And TADDDAAAHHH, after one day your teacup candle will be ready to light.

Stephanie. x
@stephanieloulou
www.theraspberrybranch.blogspot.com

Thanks Stephanie! What do you think dolls? Is this something you would try? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment